News Archive 2017


It was billed a must win game for the travelling Rovers, and it didn't disappoint as a spectacle.

In form and second placed North Brisbane FC had been tipped earlier in the week as strong favourites to win, but it was KPR who were the much more dominant of the two sides in the opening 20 minutes.

It only took 4 minutes for the piney boys to signal their intent when a lovely ball from deep played in Jye Magarry who crossed the ball to the on rushing Laurent Macumi who could scuff his shot wide from close range.

It was two good chances for Chris Dovey in as many minutes with his first shot requiring a save from the North keeper after it bobbled off the pitch, his second shot not quite as effective going wide of the mark.

Only a few minutes later Magarry forced the keeper into a great save shooting from an acute angle which was tipped away by the North gloveman.

North Brisbane were still dangerous on the counter and scored a goal after a deep cross, only for the linesman a flag to be raised on the far side. A let off for KPR who knew they needed to score to assert the early dominance.

Peter Flynn found his way into a shooting position from 25 yards out, his shot swerving and dipping to only cannon off the post with the keeper in no position to make a save.

31 minutes into the half and Rovers dominance finally paid dividends when a lovely lofted free kick was headed in by Peter Scott at close range. A relief for Russell Mapri and his side heading into the half time break.

The second half started with North Brisbane pushing forward in numbers to get back into the game, in which they had a period of their own with three near chances one effort hitting the post and one fantastic reflex save by young KPR keeper Kane Turner from point blank range to keep the piney boys in the lead.

It wasn't until the hour mark when a quick thinking Jye Magarry pounced on a defensive mix up, rode one challenge, held off another and slotted the ball past the keeper to give KPR a 2-0 lead. Much to the delight of the bench and small travelling support.

From this point on KPR were able to defend well and not allow any threatening chances created from a North Brisbane side who were unable to break down the defensive wall.

A very solid 2-0 win away from home against a previously unbeaten opposition.


⚽️ Peter Scott 31'

⚽️ Jye Magarry 61'


📒 Christian Gamez 59'

📒 Chris Dovey 71'

🏅 Kane Turner



KPR were given a tough Canale Cup second-round draw mid week when they were drawn away to impressive Capital 1 outfit Acacia Ridge. Ridge who sit currently 2nd in the Cap 1 standings and are enjoying yet another great year after two consecutive promotions in the past two years.

Rovers head coach Russell Mapri encouraged the challenge to his squad but made no guarantees it would be a easy match, saying it would be a great opportunity for the team to play a well drilled outfit in good form.

UPDATE: Game scheduled for Saturday 6th May kick off 5:30pm Ron Proud Field.



Tuesday night saw KPR travel out to the Redlands to face fellow capital 4 Mooroondu Football Club outfit for round 1 in the Canale Cup.

Naming a very youthful side, Russell Mapri's men entered the match slight favourites and didn't take long to open the scoring albeit from the penalty spot in the 9th minute.

A defender in the mooroondu penalty area was adjudged to have handled the ball and the referee quickly pointed to the spot. Hidde Versloot making no mistake. 1-0 KPR. From this point KPR had a large period of dominance with constant attacking moves putting the Mooroondu back four under constant pressure.

The pressure finally told in the 16th minute when a unlucky clearance from the Mooroondu keeper cannoned in off his own defender into the open net to give Rovers a 2 goal lead.

Shortly after Hidde Versloot was in again scoring his second for the evening after a fantastic counter attack for the striker to break through and carefully chip the advancing keeper. A wonderfully worked moved from back to front.

The scoring continued in the 36th minute when Peter Scott scored from close range after some neat play in middle of the park.

4-0 the score at half time with the Rovers clearly the better of the two sides.

The second half saw the Thorneside based club come out all guns firing and managed to get a goal back in the 49th with a ball to the back post which was drilled in at close range. The home side toiled well but it wasn't until the 83rd minute that they scored their second goal for the night, making the last few minutes a nervy for Rovers.

Full time with KPR winning 4-2 and progressing into the second round of the Canale Cup with a side full of youngsters. However the win did come at a cost with midfield duo Erik Nielsen and Liam Doherty Kruss both picking up injuries in the last few minutes of the match, putting a dampener on what was a good result.


⚽️ ⚽️ Hidde Versloot 9' 23'

⚽️ Peter Scott. 36'

⚽️ Own goal. 16'

🏅 Luke Gorman.



It may only be a small milestone, but KPR's official twitter account @KPRoversFC hit the 100 followers mark during the week. KPR Social media manager Julien McNamee said on the announcement 'Since being created in early Feb 2016, we have seen steady growth and support through this social medium with followers from all over the world supporting our great club.' He added, 'We must give a massive thank you to everyone who has joined us for the journey so far, the support has been fantastic and its great to see everyone get behind the smaller clubs within the Football Brisbane pyramid.' If you haven't followed us already, click the link and see what the fuss is all about. @KPRoversFC

Here's to the next #100followers #KPRFC🍍⚽️


After a heat wave, venue, and two time changes, our boys made the trip out to James Drysdale Reserve to face Cap 2 Pine Hills FC for our home away from home tie in the 2nd qualifying round in the FFA Cup.

It was a typical cagey first 20 minutes with both teams trying to assert dominance in the midfield, with only a few chances going either way early on. The deadlock was broken in the 35th minute when Pine Hills Juan Solano received the ball between the lines, turned sharply and hit his shot from 20 yards out finding the top right corner beating the outstretched Evans in goal. 1-0 to the visitors.

KPR were unlucky not to get onto the score sheet shortly after when substitute Joel Bradshaw sped past his marker taking him in on goal, to only narrowly shoot wide of the goal with an oncoming keeper.

Halftime, with the score 1-0 to Hills, with very encouraging signs from Rovers who were more than up for challenge.

The second half started in very similar fashion to the end of the first 45 with both sides getting into dangerous positions but unable to finish the opportunities created.

KPR started to build in confidence as the game wore on and drew level on the 62nd minute after a wonderful free kick was swung in by Rob Da Cunha from the left was headed in by Brendan Gillespie. 1-1 and the cup tie was well and truly up for grabs.

The game changing moment happened in the 80th minute when Erik Neilsen went in for a challenge which was deemed a bookable offence, his second for the night which saw KPR down to 10 men with extra time looming.

Full time with the scores level at 1-1.

Pine Hills started the extra time period straight off the blocks and grabbed the vital go ahead goal in the 91st minute. Juan Solano capitalising on a poor clearance and slotting home at close range.

Hills started to assert their dominance and almost came close again only for Grant Evans to parry away the first shot and save the follow up.

In the 94th Hills scored again after the initial direct free kick was saved as they recycled the ball well to find open striker whose shot was deflected into the net to give the pythons a 3-1 lead.

At this point the capital 2 side ground out the result keeping possession and were rewarded with a late goal in the 118th minute making it 4-1, a score that flattered Pine Hills but didn't tell the whole story.

An incredibly proud coach Russell Mapri was quick to praise the entire squad for an amazing effort in trying conditions given the heat throughout the day and going down a man with 40 plus minutes of play remaining. A strong building block for the exciting season ahead.

📒 Jeremy Gamez 41'

📒 Erik Nielsen 52'

⚽️ Brendan Gillespie 62'

📒📕 Erik Neilsen 79'

📒 Rob Da Cunha 113'



The 2nd Qualifying draw for this years FFA cup was held at Football Brisbane headquarters last Friday and threw up some interesting encounters to kick off the local 2017 season.

KPR were lucky enough to get a home tie however it came up against against tough Capital 2 League opposition in Pine Hills Football Club. KPR Senior Coach Russell Mapri said after the draw "Its a tough draw with Pine Hills recruiting well during the summer and this will be a test for our squad, but home ground advantage is key in these types of games, and I feel we can get across the line and progress into the next round"

Dates and KO times will be confirmed shortly by Football Brisbane, and will posted on our Facebook and Twitter pages as these come to hand.

#KPRFC🍍⚽️ #MagicOfTheCup #FFACup


KPR are excited to announce and introduce Grant Evans, and Rob Da Cunha as part of the Capital 4 coaching staff for 2017. Experienced in their respective fields, the latest addition is sure to show positive results this up coming campaign.


After making his senior debut aged 16 years of age for Nautical FC in England. Grant has played senior football every year since. Having spells at Barrow Rangers, Holker Old Boys, Ulverston Rangers and Britannia Fc before arriving to KPR in 2010, making him currently the longest serving player in the capital squad.

Grant has been a successful GK coach at junior and senior level for the last 10 years both in the UK and here in Australia, and with his vast experience and knowledge base, the 36 year old shot stopper will be a valuable asset to the coaching line up at KPR.


Rob has devoted his life to sport, aspiring to be a professional coach within the Sports Science and Exercise industry. After graduating with a BSc (Hons) Sports Therapy from the University of Birmingham he focused on as well as and having a real passion for Strength & Conditioning and Rehabilitation where he worked for none less than Charlton Athletic F.C. and West Bromich Albion Ladies F.C. back home in his native England.

In 2015 Rob graduated from the University of East London with an MSc Strength & Conditioning before moving to Australia where he joined KPR last season. An Accredited Level 1 Australian Strength Conditioning Association Coach as well as being certified in advanced first aid, Rob possess all the skills to become a top level coach.

We are incredibly lucky to have the experience of both Grant and Rob join alongside Russell Mapri in what proves to be a strong coaching line up for the upcoming season.


Grant Evans

Rob Da Cunha